Dr. David Lerner D.D.S.
Before even thinking of becoming a dentist, Dr. Lerner's evolution to a holistic dentist began. As a child he had many cavities that resulted in mercury silver fillings. It seemed that at every checkup there were more mercury silver fillings to be placed. Then, as many kids do, Dr. Lerner lost a premolar. The orthodontist decided to close the space by bringing his teeth all the way over to the front from the right to the left. His teeth ended up looking straight but his jaw was crooked.
Dr. Lerner later learned that his crooked jaw lead to many complications including head and neck pain. After graduating from dental school, TMJ treatment eventually brought relief. This started Dr. Lerner's journey with the mouth body connection. He soon learned that the bite can affect much more then your mouth.
Dr. David Lerner's second lesson came in the form of painful back pain do to shoveling to much snow without a proper shovel. The excruciating pain lead to a quest for a cure. A quest that did not end until he met a practitioner of Applied Kinesiology and Sacral - Occipital Technique. This practitioner gave him relief with his very first treatment. The treatments helped Dr. Lerner so much that he decided to begin his training in Holistic Dentistry. He soon became a practitioner of Applied Kinesiology and Sacral - Occipital Techniques.
Although his back was feeling much better by this time in his life, Dr David Lerner still needed relief of other complications. This drove him to search for more answers. He soon learned the answers from a dentist trained in nutritional and acupuncture therapy. Through a thorough analysis, the dentist discovered that Dr. David Lerner's complications and lack of energy were from his childhood mercury silver fillings.
When the fillings were removed, Dr. David Lerner soon had much more energy. This was the last spark Dr. Lerner needed to complete his quest for the mouth body connection. From that point on, Dr. David Lerner worked with many health practitioners in many health fields to improve his health and to expand his knowledge to better treat his patients.
This thirst for knowledge has stayed with Dr. Lerner over the years and has resulted in his expanding expertise in dentistry and the mouth body connection. Dr. Lerner is now known as an authority on holistic dental health care. Many patients come from all over Putnam County, Westchester County, and beyond, (even from California) to seek his holistic dental care.
Read the extended story of Dr. Lerner
Highlights of DR. Lerner's Education
Dr. David Lerner graduated in 1978 from Temple University School of Dentistry , and was elected to Omicron Kappa Upsilon, the national dental honor society.
- 1978 - 1979 General Practice residency at Westchester County Medical Center.
- 1981 - 1983 Associated with Dr. Harold Gelb, a world renowned pioneer in the field of TMJ Disorders.
- 1982 Studied the relationships of the Head, Neck and Dentistry with Mariano Rocabado RPT.
- 1982 Began training in Myofascial Release Therapy with John Barnes RPT.
- 1982 - present The study of Biological Dentistry. Introduced to the work of Reinhold Voll. M.D.
- 1982 - present Training in Applied Kinesiology with George Goodheart DC, and Herb Anderson DC and others.
- 1982 Studied with Dr. Helmut Schimmel, M.D., D.D.S., who was the originator of the VEGA technique of Electro- Acupuncture.
- 1986 - 1987 Began training in Cranio-Sacral Therapy with John Upledger DO. Studied the Dental Management of Mercury Toxicity with Hal Huggins D.D.S. Oral Acupuncture with Joachim Gleiditsch, D.D.S. M.D.
- 1988 - present Training in Neuromuscular Dentistry.
- 1989 - 1992 Completed a 24 month course of study in Functional Orthopedics and Straight Wire Orthodontics.
- 1993 - 1994 Graduate of The Advanced Continuing Education Program in the Diagnosis and Management of Orofacial Pain and Tempromandibular Disorders at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.
- 1995 - 1997 Completed 300 hour Physician course of training in Acupuncture/Chinese Medicine at the Tri-State Institute of Traditional Chinese Acupuncture.
- 1996 - 20002Engaged in advanced studies in the treatment of TMJ disorders through Cranial-Mandibular Whole Body Integration under the mentorship of Jim Jecman, D.D.S.
- 2001 Trained in the advanced principles of Cosmetic Dentistry at New York University’s Rosenthal Center.
- 2002-2003 Earned his Fellowship at the Institute of Natural Dentistry.