Dr. Lerner’s odyssey toward holistic dentistry began before he even thought of becoming a dentist. As a child, he had many cavities that resulted in repair with mercury silver fillings. It seemed that at every checkup, there were more mercury silver fillings to be placed. Then, as many kids do, Dr. Lerner broke a tooth in an accident and it had to be removed. The orthodontist decided to close the space by bringing his teeth all the way over to the front from the right to the left. His teeth ended up looking straight but his jaw was crooked.
Dr. Lerner later learned that his crooked jaw lead to a variety of problems – including head and neck aches. After graduating from dental school, Dr. Lerner began TMJ treatment. When the treatment finally brought relief, Dr. Lerner began his journey toward understanding the mouth-body connection in earnest, and soon learned that the bite can affect much more than your mouth.
Dr. David Lerner’s gained further insight in the form of a painful back pain due to shoveling too much snow without a proper shovel. The excruciating pain lead to a quest for a cure. A quest that did not end until he met a practitioner of Applied Kinesiology and Sacral – Occipital Technique. This practitioner gave him relief with his very first treatment. The treatments helped Dr. Lerner so much that he decided to begin his training in Holistic Dentistry. He soon became a practitioner of Applied Kinesiology and Sacral – Occipital Techniques.
Although his back was feeling much better, Dr. Lerner still needed relief from lingering complications, which drove him to search for more answers. He found those answers in the office of a dentist trained in nutrition and acupuncture therapy. During a thorough analysis, this dentist discovered that Dr. David Lerner’s health issues and lack of energy were a result of childhood mercury silver fillings. Once the fillings were removed, Dr. Lerner had much more energy and he felt he was finally moving toward ideal health.
From that point on, Dr. David Lerner worked with many health practitioners in many health fields to improve his own health, increase his understanding of the mouth-body connection, and expanding his knowledge to better treat his patients.
This thirst for knowledge has stayed with Dr. Lerner over the years and has resulted in an ever-expanding expertise in dentistry and the mouth-body connection. Dr. Lerner is now known as an authority on holistic dental health care. Patients come from all over Putnam County, Westchester County, and beyond, (even from Hawaii !) to seek his holistic dental care.
HIGHLIGHTS OF DR. LERNER’S EDUCATION
- 1978 – 1979 General Practice residency at Westchester County Medical Center.
- 1981 – 1983 Associated with Dr. Harold Gelb, a world renowned pioneer in the field of TMJ disorders.
- 1982 Studied the relationships of the head, neck and dentistry with Mariano Rocabado RPT.
- 1982 Began training in Myofascial Release therapy with John Barnes RPT.
- 1982 – Present The study of Biological Dentistry. Introduced to the work of Reinhold Voll. M.D.
- 1982 – Present Training in Applied Kinesiology with George Goodheart DC, Herb Anderson DC, and others.
- 1982 Studied with Dr. Helmut Schimmel, M.D., D.D.S., who was the originator of the VEGA technique of Electro-Acupuncture.
- 1986 – 1987 Began training in Craniosacral Therapy with John Upledger DO. Studied the Dental Management of Mercury Toxicity with Hal Huggins D.D.S. Oral Acupuncture with Joachim Gleiditsch, D.D.S. M.D.
- 1988 – present Training in Neuromuscular Dentistry.
- 1989 – 1992 Completed a 24-month course of study in Functional Orthopedics and Straight Wire Orthodontics.
- 1993 – 1994 Graduate of The Advanced Continuing Education Program in the Diagnosis and Management of Orofacial Pain and Temporomandibular Disorders at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.
- 1995 – 1997 Completed 300 hour Physician course of training in Acupuncture/Chinese Medicine at the Tri-State Institute of Traditional Chinese Acupuncture.
- 1996 – 2002 Engaged in advanced studies in the treatment of TMJ disorders through Cranial-Mandibular Whole Body Integration under the mentorship of Jim Jecman, D.D.S.
- 2001 Trained in the advanced principles of Cosmetic Dentistry at New York University’s Rosenthal Center.
- 2002-2003 Earned his Fellowship at the Institute of Natural Dentistry.
- 2011-12 Trained in Implant Surgery under Arun Garg, DDS and faculty.
- 2013-2014 Certified in Biological Dentistry with Dr Thomas Rau, founder of the Paracelsus Clinic in Switzerland.
- 2104 Certified in laser dentistry. Certified in Laser treatment of periodontal disease.
- 2014 Trained in advanced Implant surgical techniques with Dr Samuel Lee of Harvard University Graduate Periodontics/Implantology
What makes our practice different is that we can help you achieve a healthier mouth and a healthier body applying our unique approach to anti-aging, holistic dental care.
Based on principles of natural healing, our methods will help identify if there are hidden or unidentified sources of dental stress in your mouth that may contribute to the process of aging or the development of disease in your body.