General Guidelines for Undergoing Removal of Mercury-Amalgam Fillings
It is beyond our scope to diagnose and treat mercury toxicity. The following basic guidelines are a synthesis of information from various publications, protocols published by other health care professionals, and information presented at various symposium’s that Dr. Lerner has attended.
For a more comprehensive diagnosis and treatment you should see a physician or health practitioner who is skilled in the diagnosis and treatment of mercury detoxification.
The Material presented here is intended to be educational only and is not intended as a prescription for medical treatment.
During removal of Mercury-Amalgam fillings and replacement with carefully selected biocompatible alternatives there is mercury released as a vapor. We will be using specially developed protocols to minimize your risk of exposure.
We will offer you a mask to place over your nose to allow you to breath oxygen. We will place a vinyl sheet (rubber dam ) on the teeth we are treating to isolate them form the rest of your mouth. A high speed vacuum will be used to suction off debris generated by the old fillings, and another vacuum will pull away the vapor generated to filter the mercury and other toxins out of the air. Disposable surgical drapes will be placed over your body to avoid contamination of your skin and clothing.
Once we have removed the mercury fillings we will offer you a “cocktail” of Vitamin` C, Activated charcoal, and Chlorella, to facilitate chelation and excretion of any mercury that manages to pass our protective barrier.
It is important to prepare your body properly to maximize potential health benefits of removal of your Mercury-Amalgam fillings. Preparing your body to rid itself of heavy metals always begins with proper nutrition. To prepare for the removal of Mercury-Amalgam fillings, we you ask you to consider the the following guidelines:
- We suggest that you eat a diet high in organic vegetables and fruit. Limit if not eliminate the consumption of fish and fish products during detoxification (they may contain mercury, larger fish such as Tuna and Swordfish being higher on the food chain will have higher levels of mercury).
- Drink plenty of water every day. Adequate water is necessary for the proper functioning of routes of detoxification and excretion.
- Study of the function of the body and the literature on natural healing reveals there is an order to things in the body. The bowel, kidneys, and sweat glands of the skin are the major route for mercury elimination from the body. Good blood and lymph circulation are necessary for the transport of toxic substances in their passage out of the body. The liver needs to be functioning well, being the major organ for screening toxins from the blood and labeling them for excretion from the body. Exercise is important to keep all your organs working properly.
- It is very important that your body can rid itself of the toxins; if constipation is a problem for you, try a natural colon cleaning product to improve bowl function.
Important Aspects Of A Complete Mercury Detox Program
Mercury causes problems within the body because of its ability to create a toxic condition at very low levels of exposure.
The chemistry of Mercury is such that it develops strong attractions for sulfur-containing compounds within the body (enzymes, hormones, proteins, membranes, etc.), and then alters the ability of these compounds to perform their supporting role in the symphony of our body’s biochemistry. In binding to these sulfur containing compounds, Mercury displaces other elements such as Selenium, Zinc, Magnesium, and Manganese. These elements are crucial to facilitate the action and efficiencies of biochemical interactions. Because the Mercury displaces them, their concentrations unbound in the body become elevated and they are excreted ultimately resulting in deficiencies.
Nutritional Principles for Enhancing Your Body’s Natural Detoxification of Mercury Building a Mineral Base
Huggins was one of the first to report upon the need to load the body with trace minerals as part of a detoxification protocol. In severe cases it is probably best to assess the body for deficiencies of trace elements. Any imbalances that are present can be targeted. In most individuals it may be more practical to offer the body a supplement that provides a general base of minerals such as Body Bio electrolytes.
Sulfur Compounds Are Good Cellular and Intracellular Chelators
Compounds that are used medically for heavy metal chelation take advantage of Mercury’s strong attraction for sulfur. Commonly used agents include DMPS (sodium salt of 2,3-dimercapto-1-propanesulfonicacid also known as Dimaval) and DMSA (meso-2,3-dimercaptosuccinic acid). Both have been well researched, with DMPS being considered more effective than DMSA.
A word of caution with DMSA, it is known that DMSA affects the permeability of the blood brain barrier, making it useful to pull mercury from the brain, however if the connective tissue concentration in the body of Hg greater than in the Central Nervous System, use of DMSA can lead to Hg migrating into the Brain. Perhaps the cause of a transient “brain fog” reported by some who have used DMSA for Mercury detox.
It is also recognized that use of the sulfur containing amino acids Methionine and Cytsteine can also be helpful. Another Sulfur containing compound that is being recommended by many physicians as an adjunct to mercury detox is MSM (methylsulphonylmetahne) Dose 1tsp 2x a day.
For a natural source of sulfur, raw Garlic and supplements that are garlic derivatives are known to be helpful adjuncts.
Chlorophyll Containing Compounds from Plants Are Helpful Too
Chlorophyll is a naturally occurring compound with a strong ability for binding metal. It has similarity from a chemical perspective to our hemoglobin molecule which binds iron. This type of chemical compounds are called porphyrins. Porphyrin based supplements such as Biotecs Research Porphyra-Zyme are considered helpful to pull mercury from the connective tissue and the gut.
Chlorella is an algae that can act as a natural “sponge” for pulling mercury from the gut. It is important that the source of chlorella being used is certified free of mercury or other heavy metal contamination.(Biosorption of Heavy M etals, Bohumil & Volesky).
Cilantro tincture (Dragon River Herbals) has proven itself to be an effective herbal adjunct for heavy metal detoxification. Omura’s work established cilantro (coriander) as an effective herbal chelator that pulls Hg from nerve tissue into connective tissue. It should be followed by chelator like DMPS, or other sulfur rich compounds that will pull from connective tissue and facilitate it’s transport for excretion.
Cilantro can assist in the removal of mercury out of the brain; it is eliminated while the person exhales(stand back). Some caution should be exercised in use of Cilantro before comprehensive routes of excretion are established
Vitamin C and its Role in Detoxification
The ubiquitous Vitamin C, it plays a role in so many aspects of the body’s metabolism and structural support. Its role in supporting the body’s detoxification pathways is undisputed. As part of a well rounded program Vitamin C should be used both before and after removal of amalgam fillings to aid in mercury detoxification. It can be used in high dosages in the range of 5-10,000 mg a day (adjust dose to bowel tolerance), though should be discontinued for 24 hours before dental visits because it does interfere with the benefits of local anesthetics.
Activated charcoal and bentonite clays: they strongly absorb mercury and other toxins.
There are a number of different vitamin, herbal and homeopathic treatments available from Herbalists, Homeopaths, Physicians and other health care practitioners to help detoxify patients from Mercury poisoning. Dr. Lerner can help assist you in finding the health care professional that suits your needs.
A web site with useful information on Mercury detoxification is: www.mercola.com/article/mercury/detox_protocol.htm
- Nutrition and Degenerative Dental Disease
- Why We do not use Mercury- Silver Fillings
- Choosing a Bio-Compatible Dental Restoration
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Orofacial Pain & Temporomandibular Disorders
- The Cranial Mechanism and Dentistry
- Dental Somatic Dysfunction & Dental Somatic Integration™
- Straight teeth and a beautiful smile are accessible to all at The Center for Holistic Dentistry
- Neuromuscular Dentistry and Beyond at the Center for Holistic Dentistry
- Tomographic Imaging For Precise TMJ & Orthodontic Diagnosis
- Root Canal Therapy - a Holistic view
- Applied Kinesiology; an indispensable tool in Holistic Dentistry
- The Dental Connection in Cardiac Pain and Arrhythmia
- Acupuncture Energetics in the Treatment of Temporomandibular Disorders
- Dental Distress Syndrome by Dr. Aelred Fonder
- General Guidelines for the Patient Undergoing Removal of Mercury-Amalgam Fillings
- The Dental Treatment of Snoring and Sleep Apnea