Are you missing teeth you would like to replace?
Maybe your dentures don’t feel secure. Perhaps you have difficulty chewing.
Are you are missing one or more teeth and would like to smile, speak, and eat again with comfort and confidence? We have good news! Dental implants can provide you with new teeth that look and feel just like your own.
Under proper conditions, implants can last a lifetime. In fact, dental implants are so natural-looking and feeling, you may forget you ever lost a tooth.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root placed into your jaw to hold a replacement tooth, bridge or denture. Dental implants are an ideal option for people in good health who have lost a tooth or teeth due to periodontal disease, an injury, or for some other reason.
What Dental Implants Can Do:
- Replace one or more teeth without affecting bordering teeth
- Support a bridge and eliminate the need for a removable partial denture
- Provide support for a denture, making it more secure and comfortable
- Create a more youthful appearance. Increase your confidence
- Allow you to eat whatever you like
Digital Accuracy with No Goopy Impressions
We use 3D scanning technology (sometimes called a cone beam scan) to take a digital map of your entire mouth and jaw structure so that we can have the most accurate view possible to help us plan and perform your implant procedure. There’s none of the discomfort of those liquid, goopy plaster impressions, and our patients gain a much better idea of how the procedure and after-care will work with these highly detailed images of their own mouth.
What are implants made of?
Initially implants were all made of pure titanium. Today that is no longer the case. Many implants used today are made of titanium mixed with aluminum and vanadium. While they are cheaper, cheaper is rarely better. When we screen for biocompatibility, we find that most people are sensitive to these cheaper titanium alloys. We favor implants being manufactured in Europe where standards for biocompatibility are more stringent.
Benefits of Pure Titanium Implants:
- We have a long track record of results
- Titanium implants are made in two parts. The part that goes below the gum can be covered when the implant is placed to provide undisturbed healing. The part that goes above the gum to hold the tooth can be screwed into place later and the shape is readily customized to adapt to the requirements of the bite or for cosmetics.
- Pure Titanium is one of the most bio-compatible of metals with long use in orthopedic medicine
- Titanium implants encourage an intimate adhesion of bone around them which makes them suitable for the long term replacement of teeth.
For a while we used only pure titanium implants because we found that most patients are not sensitive to pure titanium. Now we are able to offer implants that are metal free made of a material called Zirconium.
Metal‑free dental implants have several benefits:
- Zirconia has become popular as a desirable implant material because it interacts well with the natural gum and bone, making it biocompatible.
- Metal‑free implants are biological dental implants, meaning they’re a more holistic option for those interested in treatments that support total health.
- For cosmetic reasons, zirconia is a better choice. Titanium dental implants may cause a dark line around the gum. Zirconia is a more natural color, eliminating this effect.
- When it comes to dental hygiene, zirconium is favored by many periodontists because it discourages the buildup of plaque and tartar in a way that titanium does not. That means less risk of gum disease in the future.
- Because of the increased interest in holistic dentistry and metal‑free treatments, zirconia dental implants are gaining in popularity. For patients who suffer from sensitivity to titanium, metal‑free dental implants offer an excellent alternative.
Our decision as to the best options for you are made based on consideration of your preferences and biologic needs. If you are missing teeth and are interested in using the healthiest, most biocompatible methods to replace them, give us a call today!